I know some of you will be thinking, "yum!", while the rest of you will be thinking "yuck!". Mushrooms are the Marmite of vegetables, but like Marmite, I absolutely love them! I haven't always been this way. Ask my parents.
I used to HATE mushrooms with a passion but as I've gotten older I've grown to love them. If you enjoy a plant-based diet, mushrooms offer that meaty texture that some people miss when they give up meat. It's really quick and easy to make and works well as a breakfast, lunch or makes an ideal starter for a dinner party.
This recipe is so luxurious and creamy, and the garlic and thyme compliment mushrooms so beautifully! I've used Soy Cream, which has 80% less saturated fat than single cream and I really can't taste the difference. Plus it gets in my Flexi Tweaks as it's dairy-free and vegan. These mushrooms go really well over Brioche bread but beware if you follow a plant-based diet as this type of bread can contain eggs and butter. Just choose good quality bread instead.
I've done a Recipe Video for you! It isn't very long so please have a glance and like / comment if you wish. For more recipe videos coming up you can subscribe to my You Tube Channel. Or scroll down and read the full recipe below.
1 tsp of Olive Oil
1/2 a small Onion, finely sliced
150g of Mushrooms, finely sliced
1 large clove of Garlic, minced
1 tsp of Dried Thyme
50ml of Soy Cream
20ml of water
10g of Pine Nuts
2 large or 4 small slices of good quality Bread
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions with a good pinch of salt. Sauté for 2 minutes until they start to soften.
2. Add the mushrooms and continue frying for 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms look almost cooked.
3. Add the garlic and give it a good stir so it covers the mushrooms evenly and sprinkle over the thyme. Sauté for a minute, moving the ingredients around the pan and being careful not to burn the garlic.
4. Turn the heat down and pour in the cream and some water to loosen it.
5. Do the taste test and season with salt and pepper. Spoon over toast and top with pine nuts.